Recent Posts

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Looking Back, Moving Forward...

A lot of travel time yesterday meant a lot of time to reflect on this past semester and what it meant for me. I kept a journal throughout the past months and it was fun reading through it on the plane, remembering things that I had already forgotten about. I spent almost the entire three hour flight from Newark to Minneapolis writing, about some of the highlights and low points of my time abroad, my favorite moments (that took up quite a few pages), how different my first impressions of the group were from what I know now, some things I learned, some ways I changed, and the many things I will miss about Ireland. I thought I would share some of the things I learned or realized during my time abroad: 


Filling all the empty space in my suitcase with Smartwool socks was one of the best decisions I ever made. 

I was incredibly happy living without a lot of material things or a big living space. 

Most of the time, the best plan is having no plan. 

I do not regret any of the times I put doing something fun over homework and studying. 

Making an effort to get to know people is easy, and so worth it. 

Washing the dishes is fun when the soundtrack to a Broadway musical is playing (Annie's "It's a Hark Knock Life" was a chore-time favorite in Cottage 6). 

While it's important to "live in the moment" and stop taking photos from time to time, some things are just too good not capture on video (like our award ceremony night). 

Umbrellas are overrated.


History is so much more interesting when you can physically walk around and experience where the history you are learning about happened. 

Creating your own fun (like Cottage Olympics or Poteen Prom), is the best kind of fun. 

When given the choice between doing something and not doing it, as Nike would say, "just do it." For example: Swimming in Galway Bay on December 1st? Just do it. Playing football in the freezing rain and mud on Thanksgiving? Just do it. Going out for the third night in a row? Just do it. Riding on the back of a moped in Switzerland? Just do it. You get the idea.

Recipes are open for interpretation, especially when you only have about a third of the necessary ingredients. It usually turns out pretty edible, and sometimes even delicious. 

And cliche as it is, I learned that making the most out of each day is important because time goes by so unbelievably fast. 

Well friends, that is all for now. Thanks for following! Maybe if I'm lucky there will be another long-term adventure in my future and I will blog again. Until then, Slán go fóill. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment